Fishing in WoW is a secondary skill, similar to that of gathering herbs, mining, etc, although it has its own place in the game and it is very important that you learn how to fish properly. Patience is a value and this is very true in WoW as well. If you want to catch a fish, you need to have your fishing pole ready and stay by the water until the fish dips into the water. Next to patience, strong reflexes are also very valuable. Once you see it jump, you need to catch it, period. From being immobilized seemingly for ages, to swiftly catching the fish, there is a complete 180% turnaround in your actions and you need to do that well.
So how do you get started with fishing in WoW?
- First you need to find a Fishing Trainer, who will teach you the fishing skill, and a fishing pole with which you will catch your first fish. The fishing trainers are located near a lake, or stream. Fishing poles are usually sold by general vendors or fishing supply vendors.
- Once you have these, you need to find water. You can go to any river, lake, or even ocean and star fishing. To do that …
- Equip the fishing pole in your and select the fishing icon from your Spellbook to cast a line into the water.
- When you casted successfully, you will see a bobber appear in the water.
- Now right-click on the bobber to reel in the fish and once safely caught, get it to your inventory from your loot box. Ta-da, you've just done your first fish!
During your fishing relaxation time, you will have a few laughs at what strange things you will find. Sometimes you click at the wrong time, and you catch … nothing. Sometimes you find piles of junk (yes, the World of Warcraft is polluted as well). Yet other times, you get lucky and you catch fish. And if you really know where to look, you can also catch floating wreckages (eg in Stanglethorn Vale), which sometimes contain valuable items, such as money, bolts, green items, etc.
The good thing about the fishing skill is that you advance even if you caught junk, and you gain experience towards your next level.
There is something called the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza which you might want to take part in, once your fishing skills are manageable. This is a tournament that takes place along the coast of Stranglethorn Vale every Sunday 2pm (game time). What you need is a fishing pole and a decent level (I'd say around 250) of fishing skill. The tournament has as main goal to catch 40 Tastyfish before the others and return them to Riggle Bassbait in Booty Bay.
And the prize? It varies, but you can win anything from an Arcanit fishing pole to a rare fish type, which always variates.
And now go out there and catch some fish, so you have enough points to be able to take part in this tournament. It's really worth it for the sheer fun of it!